Saturday, July 13, 2002

The Chamber

I remember perhaps four years ago, I said an unusual prayer. I asked God to lock me in a wooden chamber, somewhere beneath a castle and to give me a lamp, some paper and a pen.

I wanted to become a slave to song. And from that room would come glorious music.

What drama. I don't know where I get these crazy ideas that have nothing to do with reality.

But I can make do with what I have. I realize I have one more week of silence before my time in Boston gets truly busy.

This Malden apartment building is certainly no castle, but it is on the bottom floor - garden level. And I am alone, as if in a chamber. So, this week, I may be in the place I need to be. I really do have to cram. I have to hold back on the fun and get some work done.

Off to doing (1) work stuff and (2) writing.

The Composer

Today was the first time in years that I actually sat down at the piano and drew notes - circles and stems - onto paper. I went to Harvard Square and walked over to the New School of Music and played the old Steinway piano for a good 3 and a half hours. But it was as if time flew by in seconds. I was so involved in finishing this work.

It wasn't an original, but an exercise for piano lessons to reharmonize a song called "Just Friends." It's rather simple and short, but the work is painstaking. When I was finished, I actually stopped in my tracks and realized that I just got through doing something that takes discipline, yet I really enjoyed. I wish I could do this more often. I think I'm on to something here. My brain was completely fried when I was through, and I realized that I don't do enough "brain-frying" in my music. I think this will become a requirement from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment